View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Castaneda View Post
My sons bought me a Nook Color and I love it, but I have a friend who has written some Kindle e-books that I want to read. Is there some kind of app to convert Kindle books to Nook format - or buy Kindle books on a Nook? (I ask this question without much hope.)
There are several ways to do this with the Nook Color. I won't go into the tricks to remove DRM because it's illegal to do that in the US. However, you can turn your Nook Color into an android tablet and load the Kindle and Nook apps on it so you can read books from either store. Rooting a NC by hand is too complicated for me but some on the Nook forum could direct you to the sources. Me, I bought an n2a card for $35. There are more expensive ones that are identical except they come on larger 16GB and 32GB cards.

There are complete instructions on how to install and use it but basically you shut the Nook off, put the n2a card in the SD card slot, and turn the Nook back on. When it restarts it gives you the choice to start your Nook in the Barnes and Noble build or in the android build.

The card comes with apps for both the Nook and the Kindle. Instructions for installing apps on an android tablet are on the n2a site but it isn't hard since the apps are already on the SD card when you get it. Instructions on how to register a Kindle android app are available on the Amazon site. You can buy books from either vendor and side-load ePub books to the Nook app from other sites like eBooks.com and Kobo.

The nice thing about n2a SD cards is that you can shut off the Nook, take the n2a card out and restart it without making any changes at all in your Nook Color. In fact, no one will know you used it as an android tablet unless you tell them.

You can buy an n2a card from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/N2A-TM-Android...5219245&sr=8-2

or directly from the guys that make them:

http://n2acards.com/
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote