View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #48
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski
So can you confirm that the current version of the Touch doesn't support hyperlinks within ePubs?
The question might more properly be asked, are we sure it doesn't support it for sideloaded ePUBs if you want it for this book. There are a number of features which, at least for now, are supported for kepub (Kobo's proprietary DRM for ePUBs) but not for sideloaded ePUB, with or without DRM.
Well no-one's replied about either. So I have to assume that other reports are true and the Touch doesn't support hyperlinks. That's a great pity and rules the Touch out for me until Kobo fixes this.

It seems that the whole kepub thing stems from problems Kobo has getting the standard ADE SDK working properly, so they rolled their own xhtml renderer in order to implement highlighting and the dictionary. It's already been reported that you can get it to use this on sideloaded epubs by renaming them to .kepub.epub, so this might be a workable solution (though I read that the kepub renderer doesn't respect the margins set in the css :deepsigh:, but it's all a bit vague since no-one's posted any hard details of how closely this machine follows the spec).

I strip the DRM off all the books I buy and fix the css so that the book displays properly without any need to twiddle settings on the reader. Maybe one of these days I'll find a reasonably-priced reader with a Pearl screen that can display epubs according to the full spec...
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote