View Single Post
Old 05-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #236
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Definitely! Speaking as a woman in my 50s - I really like the portability form factor, ease-of-use and general "feel" of the jetBook. You can hold it in either hand and turn pages easily, and the drag-and-drop USB connection makes it very quick to get up and running. I am technically-savvy in general, but I have little patience when things don't work as expected. Haven't tried the dictionary yet as I don't use one (my non-work fiction reading tends to be light).

One other big appeal (esp. for women I think) is the fact that the package comes with everything you need - charger, case, earphones and even books! One-stop-shopping, and the charger works world-wide as does the warranty. These convenience factors are not mentioned much - but make a real difference when you start adding up the extra costs with other devices - and you don't have to figure out which charger works, which is best, what case to buy, etc. There was a nice little card in the case with a clear explanation of the supported formats, as well as websites where books are available (free or pay) in these formats. This could keep me occupied for many years!

I'm content with non-DRM books: txt, rtf, and epub suit me fine - but adding HTML support would also be nice. I don't expect good pdf book reading on an under 9" device. The screen readability is great - better than I expected - and the quick (non-flashing) refresh more than makes up for the smaller 5" size; all-in-all a very pleasant reading experience.

And...it really is pretty with the blue print on the nice black case! I also hope that Ectaco does well and that the no-DRM support doesn't hinder adoption too much.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote