View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm not sure if this is a scam or not. You download and read the first book for free. Then you buy it again because buying the second and third is going to be more expensive then buying all three in the omnibus edition. This seems very odd to me.
First time i've seen a bargain price on an anthology called a scam...

You can buy the book individually or get the omnibus (which obviously released long after the first book). In paper, you get all three for 2/3 the price of the individual copies. For the Kindle, it's a bit cheaper, if you ignore the current sale of the first book at under $3.

The author is then undercutting that sale price by giving away the first book, to anyone that finds his web page, as a PDF or mobi (so, easy to convert). Sure, you'll buy that first book "again" if you grab the omnibus, so you can keep them all together and FOR RIGHT NOW you save money over buying the second two books (if that omnibus goes back up to list price, it will be cheaper to buy just books 2 & 3).

On the print side, the second series is already coming out in a dual book for the first two (not on Kindle yet), so I expect combined book versions that save money on the Kindle side as well, eventually.

So, I guess the "scam" is:
Give away a book. Make it good enough the suckers out there buy some more. Make those good enough that they buy the next series. [No wait, this sounds like marketing ....... better work on plan some more!]

Seems that many others use the same "scam" - giving away free books, then giving you price breaks on bundles, where you may end up "buying" that first "free" book again.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote