Thread: Aura HD Kobo Aura HD
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #591
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by TongueTied View Post
I just read a really really negative review on Gizmodo by some waste of space called Eric Limer, that was posted today. I always thought they did fairly professional reviews but this just so blatantly biased and Kobo bashing. This review makes it seem that the device is perhaps the worst technical device ever released.
Look to your own biases before complaining about the biases of others.

http://gizmodo.com/kobo-aura-hd-revi...rapped-5995330

He finds it too large to hold comfortably (as do I) and the back's very odd angled design making it even harder to grip (as do I; in addition, I find the slick plastic to be too slippery and I have to grip it a LOT harder than I do devices with quilted backs and matte plastic fronts like my Touch).

He says the extra screen real estate isn't worth the larger body (an opinion, and reviewers are allowed to have those, by the way, I happen to agree with).

He finds Reading Life to be "cute but superfluous" (that's giving Reading Life too much credit, IMHO, as it's just there to try and convince people that their data collection is for the users' benefit).

He finds the infrared screen to be a performance limiter (as do I).

He dislikes the use of sliders on an IR device (ditto - they're extremely imprecise) and that the buttons you can use as alternatives are small and easy to miss (probably a result of the higher resolution).

He loves the screen itself (I'm meh on the issue), but doesn't feel it makes up for the Aura's design faults (of which there are many).

He says you don't need a screen like that to read (that's pretty much the only point where the review misses the mark - he seems to have not tested the marginal case uses, technical PDFs, comic books, and other reading material that's heavy on graphics and thus benefits from the higher resolution).

Frankly, I see nothing wrong (except maybe the last item) or biased or inflammatory about the review.

Quote:
Goodereader.com also did some good reviews of the Aura and I have always thought those guys were very biased.
They are - towards Kobo. They haven't met a Kobo app or device they didn't fawn over.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote