View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #37
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
To me, the black "ink" on my k3 is darker. It's faded on my pw by comparison. This more than anything else bothers me about the pw screen. I think the blotches are a problem that will be fixed (or already fixed), but that lighter text may be inherent to the pw.

I think a reason that pw text looks blurry to OP is pw seems to use more anti-aliasing than the k3. Odd considering that you'd expect to need LESS anti-aliasing with higher resolution.

I also notice that my pw with light off has a darker background than my k3 in a normal bright room. In fact, I need to turn up the light to about 9 or 10 on the pw to make the backgrounds match. Obviously the pw wins in term of background when I turn up the light even more.

So what I make of this: 1) maybe I just have an unusually good k3 screen and unusually bad pw screen, or 2) the additional light diffuser and touch layers degrade the eink screen picture quality, or 3) the new screens aren't as good, or at least we are not seeing a good batch. The k4b screens are reportedly better than the k4s, even though amazon isn't claiming any improvement.

OTOH, I recall a rep from eink saying the pearl screen is capable of some insane resolution. It's the controller that determines the practical resolution. So maybe the screen is still the same.

Heck, I don't know.

-------

I like the capacitative touch. I had problems using the IR touch, esp when I tried tocuching something near the corner.

I don't like the pw front bevel. It's too slicky. I liked the kindle 2 front bevel the best; it had a nice textured feel to it. It felt expensive
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote