View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
I was so excited to hear about the addition of sideloading that I reinstalled this right away. It works even with DRM-free ePubs. Hooray!

Then I started using it and was immediately reminded of why I don't use it:

- Boot up and the app switches to Mobile Safari, then back again. Weird.
- First thing I see on the screen is an alert to connect my Kobo account with my Facebook account. No thanks.
- Finally navigate to my library and start my book. All of a sudden I'm interrupted by a popup that takes up 1/3 of the bottom half of the screen. "Congratulations, you have linked your account to Instapaper!" What the fuck? No, I didn't, and I didn't give anyone permission to do so.
- Default settings are set to skeumorphic page curl effect and "Kobo styling," whatever that is. Looks like crap.
- Try to adjust text size. It's either fine-print small or ridiculously large, nothing in between.
- Read one page and test the bookmarking function. Tapping the top right-hand corner works fine, except I get another massive popup: "Congratulations, you have started a new book. You have earned the Once Upon a Time award!" Allofmywat.jpg
- Reading fairly quickly. The app can't keep up. Every time I turn the page, a giant pink ribbon shoots out of the right side of the screen with a little Loading icon before bringing up the next page of text. Seriously?
- Relaunch the app a second time and immediately get bombarded by a spam popup: "Please rate the Kobo app in the App Store."

Deleted. Never again.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote