View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
I cannot speak to Touch <> Vox <> Desktop, not my real area of knowledge. However I can speak to how iOS <> Desktop <> Touch works, which one would like to think working on the same principle.

I have a Touch, and iPhone, iPad and the Desktop software.
If I go into a book on iPad and turn to a new page in a new chapter and exit the book (return to Library / Home, or suspend the app via the home button on the device, or fully quit the application) then what we term as a cloud bookmark request is sent to our servers. This request contains the location of bookmark.

If that fails for any reason the new bookmark will not be sent to the server, however, if you open the book on the iPad, you would still be on the correct page of that book as it stores the location locally as well. If you were to go to any other device, say a touch or iPhone then you won't be on the "correct" page.

I read mainly on my Touch and if I am in range of a wireless network and hit the sync option it will attempt to sync the bookmark up to the server. If it is successful then when I refresh the library on my iPhone, iPad it will obtain the new bookmark and when I open the book I will be on the correct page.

Bottom line, the cloud bookmark should be going both ways.

One other thing, there are what we call "Dog-ears", which are created if you tap the top right corner of a page. If you are using Touch and Desktop then I believe these dog-ears are synced. However, at present, the other platforms do not sync dog-ears. My point being that if you are talking about dog-ears instead of a cloud bookmark then this could explain why they are not being synced.
Thanks - this is EXACTLY how I expect the Kobo bookmarking via multiple devices to work with their ePubs. Except it's NOT! And I cannot find ANYTHING documented that talks about how to share bookmarks amongst multiple devices. (We can't do dog-ears on Kobo devices - at least not to my knowledge - LOL!).

I get all the messages saying 'library synched' and 'bookmarks updated', but something tells me that the synch is not working properly for the Vox, maybe? I haven't tried between my two WiFis, since I've got one loaned out at the moment, but I was hoping that someone with more than one Kobo device can confirm if this is bugged somehow or if maybe I am missing something?
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote