View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Kobo website library very buggy

Because of the 50% coupon code, I've been buying some books at the Kobo website. As most people will know, prices can be far apart in different countries.

I've bought two series, one of which was MUCH cheaper in the Netherlands (in Euro's), and the other was MUCH cheaper in the US (in USD). Therefore I actually bought one with my account set to Netherlands, and the other with the account set to US. The 50% coupon code applied on all purchases.

All books bought when the account was set to the Netherlands are in the library, and the Adobe DRM EPUB ASCM file can be downloaded from there. However, of the books purchased while the the account was set to the US, only the last one is in the library.

First: directly after buying I got the option to download the book / ASCM file, so I did that for each book. So I *do* have the books. (De-DRM-ed already.)

Second: I *CAN* see all US-bought books in my purchase history including order number (and I got a paypal receipt), no matter if my account is set to the Netherlands or to the US.

Third: If it is set to US, and I click on one of the books in my purchase history, the site takes me to the page of that book. There, it says: "View in Library" as the only option. So, it actually is in the library (at leeast the site thinks so), but after I click on the button, I indeed end up in the Library, where the book can't be found. There is only one page, saying book 1-7 of 7. (I don't buy a lot from Kobo.) It should say: 1-9 of 9, as two books are missing.

However: if I set my account to Netherlands, and then click on a book in my purchase history, I'm taken to the book's page as well, *but* that page immediately has an Adobe DRM EPUB download button, which the US site does not have.

As I do have the books, de-DRM-ed and backed up already, it is of little consequence what is, or remains in the Kobo library. I do not rely on online storage. However, for the sake of completeness, I'd like the books to be in the Kobo library as well.

Would it be useful to contact Kobo on this issue, or will they just say that I "bought books out of my own country, and if the site is buggy doing that, then it's not their problem" or something?

(BTW: It seems the Netherlands still has the old site, which has much more information (it still has the format information, as debated in another thread) and it has more options, such as the download button directly on the book's page if you have it in your library. One wonders why a company would create a new site and launch it before it's done...)

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-18-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote