Thread: Name that book?
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #590
Chris Jones
Addict
Chris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five words

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC View Post
Sounds like Everyman's Library, which used to be published by J.M. Dent.
Thank you..!

I had a hard time finding this thread again. My intent had been to create a new thread and it appears I clicked the wrong button and managed to hijack an existing thread instead. I'll have to be careful until I am more familiar with the mobile read forums.

J.M. Dent's Everyman Library indeed comes quite close to what I tried to describe... But the current presentation appears to be somewhat fancier than what I had in mind. I do not remember the elegant black & gold stamping on the front and spine, nor the silk ribbon marker.

I do remember that they came with a non-glossy dust cover, usually in some light toned down-color that featured some form of reproduction of a contemporary engraving or etching.

I read the History blurb on the About Everyman's page, and since the collection appears to have been resurrected back in 1991, which would roughly correspond to the correct time frame, and although I am pretty sure the books I mentioned were not bought from a used books store, the volumes I owned might have been somewhat older. For all I know, I could very well have bought them at a discount price from a small book shop getting rid of some stuff they'd had in their shelves for a number of years to make room for more recent offerings.

Older volumes, found via a Google "Images search", some dating back to the 1940's. would in fact appear to come quite close to what I remember.

Not a major issue, in any case...

Incidentally, my interest in such matters was revived while hunting for decent-looking book covers for my own personal "everyman library" consisting mostly of Project Gutenberg downloads.

Thanks,

CJ
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote