View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 09:09 AM   #14
Rock Lobster
PI for hire.
Rock Lobster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rock Lobster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rock Lobster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rock Lobster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rock Lobster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rock Lobster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rock Lobster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rock Lobster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rock Lobster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rock Lobster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rock Lobster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I keep a notebook handy, just in case.
By this time I was getting tired of all the bally hoo. What I had was a bunch of nuts with no squirrels. So far I hadn't heard anything about the yellow star with the Q on it and how the readers on the wall played in was a mystery. Of course, I get paid to solve mysteries, so I shouldn't complain.

The next door was labelled "DaleDe." I wondered what this guy was going to be like. After I opened the door, I saw a guy dressed in bluejeans and t-shirt holding a product scanner. He was scanning a bar code that was on the wall over and over again. The t-shirt said, "Well we did buy a llama for Neko."

"You DaleDe?" I asked.

"That's me! Hold still so I can take your picture for the wiki!" He produced a camera and flashed me in the eyes. As I was blinking around the purple spots, he took out a notebook and said, "Tell me your entire life story and include anything that you know about electronic readers."

"I'm asking the questions, here, mister!"

He wrote furiously in his notebook. "Hardcase hardboiled detective..." he muttered.

"Listen, pal, there was a murder in the Moderators Suite and I'm going to get to the bottom of it." I felt like I was losing gorund.

"Noir..." he murmered.

"What can you tell me about this yellow star with a Q on it?"

He looked up in the air as if reciting from memory. "The yellow star was first used in MobileRead by Ravenne, a moderator from Germany (verification needed) in the Winter Contest of 2009. Various stars and letters were scattered throughout the fora in a random fashion to entice members to look beyond their ususal areas of posting. The letters, when unscrambled, spelled out 'Oliver Twist,' which was the correct answer needed to be in the drawing for winning a prize. (Citation needed.) Many members were ready to riot after Ravenne superceded their many ways of searching for the posts with the stars. pshrynk atttempted to confuse the process by making his avatar of the day a yellow star with a Q on it. Members were not amused. (Verification needed.) The first member to correctly guess the answer was WetDogEared, who guessed it on the second letter. The moderators were frightened by this but the contest continues. It is assumed that WDE has alread guessed the answer to the current contest."

I was glad that I had the recording pen at that moment. "So, this pshrynk was a joker that way?" I was desperate to get a motive to pull this all together.

Again with the schoolboy recitation pose. "pshrynk is a moderator from Wisconsin, a state in the United States that apparently never has summer. (Citation needed.) He is known for his frequent changes of avatars and his less than memorable writing attempts that are tolerated only because he has the power to ban anyone that he sees as an 'unecessary critic.' He is believed to be the force behind VivaldiRules' frequent theft of avatars. (Verification needed.) He is also the employer of a wildly popular member, named psockpuppet, whom he works mercilessly and with no compensation. See also Laddy at the Door, outrageous billing levels, and Friday's Qestion of the Week."

I was beginning to have head spins from the information overload. "Okay, in an answer of one sentence or less, why do you think someone would kill pshrynk?"

"I think jealousy had something to do with it. Now if you don't mind, I have a history of Karma in MobliRead to write and post in the wiki." He turned back to his scanning and I knew that I had lost him.

Going back out the door, I saw Zippy absentmindedly wiping dust off the cases on the wall. NetSeeker ahd somehow escaped his personal looney bin and was regaling her with the details of all the heinous crimes he had committed, mostly by poison, but occasionally by clean crowbar, since the evidence pointed that direction.