View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
Given an image at least 600px wide, I use
width: 100%;
, even though the image will become pixellated for horisontal resolutions >600px. This'll fill the entire screen width. I prefer a grainy image to a small one, but if your priority is the other way round, max-width:100% sounds like a good idea.
Specifying height:auto is superfluous at best, and possibly risky at worst. CSS height in epub readers is a sorry mess.
Concerning the dimensions of the image within the ebook file, you should consider the detail and quality of the source image. Given that many ereaders permit zooming of images, it makes sense to have the image dimensions big enough so that all relevant details survive. Against that must be considered the need to avoid a bloated ebook-file.

I've never worried too much about re-rendering; I've generally been satisfied with the scaling done by the readers I've used.

A final note concerning full-page landscape images: I've ended up rotating them to portrait mode. Virtually all readers permit switching between portrait and landscape modes, and many do it automatically if you rotate the reader. Thus it can be preferable to have a consistent viewing angle.

Last edited by SBT; 03-02-2013 at 02:19 PM.
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote