View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 08:01 PM   #1
palex481
Connoisseur
palex481 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
Do you get used to the slow page turns of E-Ink?

OK, so I spent about 20 minutes today playing around with a Sony PRS-505 in Borders today. My first impression when I saw it, was that it was just a fake demo unit. I forgot E-ink doesn't emit light. Very cool. Love the crispness of the display, even the sample pictures looked good.

But the refresh rate, which I know is not horribly slow is still light years below the iphone and pdas I've owned. I know they are two completely different technologies, but as much as a pain it is to convert and split books into chapters for my iphone, I've gotten used to the fact that I can tap the screen and the page flips instantaneously or I can flick my finger and scroll down the page. I love that part of the experience of reading on the iphone, but the screen is just too small and battery life sucks.

So maybe I'm spoiled, as I've been reading ebooks for years on PDAs, but the thing is I don't know if I can get past this point.

Like in some books, there are passages that the author is just rambling and I like to skip through and flip past the section, but there is no flipping on an e-ink device.

I definitely see the advantages of e-ink: Battery Life, Paper-like Quality, but I'm still not sold on it completely.
palex481 is offline   Reply With Quote