View Single Post
Old 12-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by broberts View Post
I'm looking for something with E-ink, WiFi, and the ability to get RSS feeds for news and such, but I can't seem to find any info on the RSS feeds.

Let me add Adobe eBook DRM to the list so I can get Google books

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill
Hi,

A Kindle and former Nook owner here. Before giving you brand and names, I would suggest you check both online libraries and compare prices; check if your book(s) are available in both stores. Based on that, you can narrow your search a bit more. It will be really sad if you get a great ereader but your book purchase ability is limited because online book's stock.

Now, both have the ability to read RSS feed but I don't remember or any specific application on the Kindle or Nook designed just for that. Online browsing is poor and limited on both (no color, no flash, etc) but I like Kindle 3 internet experience better. You can also change or alter navigation setting on Kindle 3 and tell the device to browse "based text" only (the setting has a different name but don't remember right now) Nook browser is not so advanced but works ok. Nook's keyboard is virtual, touching the lower color screen. Kindle keyboard is physical.

In terms of eink or display, Kindle 3 looks way much better than Nook 1st generation. Letters are crispier on the Kindle.

Connecting wifi on both is the easiest thing ever but with the Nook you have the ability to read books for free, 1 hr, as long as you are in a B&N store. It is a nice feature but I would not say a deal breaker.

You can download and read epub or Google books into your Nook with no conversion or hack, you cannot with Kindle, but I personally don't like those. When I had my Nook I downloaded several Google books and the layout is horrible: margins are not right, some of them have no table of content. I prefer paying 4 or 5 dollars from B&N or Amazon and get a decent book.

Last but least, expect frequent charges with your Nook. I had to charge mine every 4 or 5 days, moderate usage. With my Kindle 3, same usage, it has been 6 days from my last charge and it's still 50% battery. Average, you can get up to 2 weeks of charge with Kindle 3. So keep that in mind.

Hope that helps

Last edited by jocampo; 12-11-2010 at 09:02 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote