View Single Post
Old 03-16-2016, 04:07 PM   #1
KNI
Connoisseur
KNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony PRS-650
Sony PRS-350 Stylus repair

The plastic top of the stylus for the Sony PRS-350 eventually breaks, making it useless. I repaired my wife's stylus three years ago, and today the one for mine. Here's how I did it. First, I drilled a hole in the broken off plastic going down into the aluminum tube. The hole is drilled straight down into the aluminum tube I used a 1/16th inch bit. The drill penetrated over 1/2" before going on through.

Then, using a very small bladed screwdriver, I picked at the plastic until I had about 3/16" of it removed, so the inside of the aluminum tube was plastic free for that distance.

Then, I screwed a stainless steel 4-40 X 1/4" pan head Phillips screw into the tube. The screw is slightly too large for this and I could only get about 4 threads deep - but it is enough! If you can get it, a thread-cutting screw might be even better. A sheet metal screw might work well too - but the 4-40 screw was what I had. Note that most hardware stores now sell stainless screws in single quantities - if you need to buy one I'd get a couple.

Bottom line - the fix works fine. My wife's has lasted three years without the screw ever coming out, and lets her use the stylus regularly. The fix lacks elegance - but it works!

Last edited by KNI; 03-16-2016 at 04:09 PM. Reason: spelling correction
KNI is offline   Reply With Quote