View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Reacher's size, bulk and overall density are simply ingrained in all the different plots. The denseness of his pectoral muscles alone stopped a bullet dead in its tracks in one of the books for cripes sake.

Tom Cruise could pull off "sneaky assassin," but any attempt to portray him as a "hulking bruiser of a badass" will be laughable. And rewriting Jack Reacher as anything less than a hulking bruiser of a badass will be unacceptable.

I'll watch it; because I don't have a problem maintaining a healthy separation between book and movie (and no movie has the power to retroactively ruin my experience of a good book/character), but he just won't be Jack Reacher. He simply can't be.

Maybe Peter Jackson can consult, and give this film's director some pointers on how to reverse-hobbitize Cruise using different camera angles and such.

Mini-Reacher. Who gets the blame for that casting call, anyway? I know Lee Child is at least pretending to give "Cruise as Reacher" his full support, but what else would you expect an author in his situation do?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote