Thread: PRS-350 Unbricking from boot loop?
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
OK, I try to be very exact:

- the reader ist in boot loop

- after each restart the progress bar advances about 4mm - white - then restart

- today the battery emptied out - after connection to PC the boot loop started again --> so no chance (which was my hope)

- there is (nearly) no USB-device available on the PC: when the reader restarts, for approx. 3 seconds there are the 2 drives visible. But time is to short for managing something. And inbetween the 3 seconds, the 2 drives are only visible if you switch on the visibility for hidden files and folders in the optins of windows. No files or folder are visible in the two drives. I guess, the time is to short for the system to recognize the drives correctly. Boot loop advances.

- It is not psosible to interrupt the loop. I tried everything I could imagine:

1) Holding ANY possible combination of at least 2 buttons for at least one cycle
2) Try soft reset; try holding the soft reset "button" (hold a stick into the hole) for at least one boot sequence
3) Try hard reset (but that ist just one of the under point (1) mentioned combination of holding buttons a longer time
4) Tried holding any possible combination of one button and holding the soft reset "button" for at least one sequence
5) Tried holding soft reset "button" and switch off slider togeter for at least one seqence
6) Tried holding the off slider and any other button togeter for at least one cycle

For any combination (there are a lot of possibilities) in 99% the same reaction follows: nothing --> keeping cycling. Ah, I forgot: i've done this with and without USB-cable connected to the PC.

At one or the other combination the boot cycle interrupted for a couple of seconds - reader switches of (white) just for starting again cycling.

If the reader is connected to the PC the very short visibility (shall I call it a "flash") of the USB drives is independent of holding or pushing buttons.

I tried to flash the reader while cycling. Of course the reader could not be recognized.
Edit: flash files from BORODA

A.

Last edited by Analogus; 05-21-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote