View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 05:06 AM   #14
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaditrad View Post
I am not sure if I'm correct, but latin glyphs are usually found attached to the letter as one single character: so é ê è and e are 4 different characters by themselves.
whereas in arabic, و وُ وِ وَ are using one character for the و and one character for the glyph. I guess this is one difference worth mentioning.
IMHO, there are other reasons for this behaviour. AFAIK, there's a configuration file that hard-codes the mapping of all Arabic characters to the ugly glyphs in the code2000.ttf Unicode fallback font and prevents using Arabic glyphs from embedded fonts.
IIRC, an Arab Kindle Paperwhite user was able to bypass this limitation by installing the USE_ALT_FONTS Kindle font hack, but, AFAIK, embedding Arabic fonts still doesn't work.

Quote:
We all agree that there is a big lack of arabic material in the kindle shop.
AFAIK, Amazon doesn't offically support Arabic and Amazon KDP doesn't accept Arabic-only Kindle books by independent authors.

Quote:
I guess many are interested in that especially for writing religious books (e.g. quran, bible) or dictionaries.
Unfortunately, Amazon hasn't updated the dictionary code in the KindleGen compiler in ages. I.e. it creates the Mobi7 files by default whenever it encounters dictionary tags. (KF8/AZW3 files are Mobi8 files.)
Mobi7 supports only single word based RTL shaping. For example it'll display سكة حديد as حديد سكة.
On the plus side, it's possible to create dictionaries with inflections for single word entries. (I.e. looking up طلاب will display the entry for طالب.)

Quote:
- Is there a group/page on this forum for Arabic font discussions? I only saw some small threads on the subject.
None that I know of. Feel free to create a dedictated Arabic on the Kindle thread, but don't be too disappointed if you don't get many replies.

Quote:
- According to your knowledge, what is the compatibility of Arabic with the various formats and various Kindle models ?
AFAIK, Arabic is supported on all Kindles that support KF8/AZW3:
- eInk (K3 and higher with the latest firmware)
- Android (all Fire models with the latest firmware)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote