View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #261
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John the Miner View Post
errata: shows you the benefits of a good education!
I think I will go with the majority of sources, which advocate the use of a space before and after ellipses ...
But, again, who says style should be an issue in a discussion such as this?
Is there a style guide that MobileRead Forums recommends? Is there a dictionary that is supposed to be used by participants?
If there are, then why don't people use them? If there are, then I would gladly use them for the sake of consistency.
Is there a moderator who enforces the use of a style guide or a dictionary in these pages? Does the moderator state that the serial comma MUST be used before a submission will be allowed to appear?
Correct styling is part of proofreading. As for ellipses, in an eBook, there should be a non-breaking space before and after each . unless you have say a " after the last dot. If you don't use a non-breaking space, then your spacing can be off and that is wrong.

Spaces before and after —. Using – instead and putting spaces around is wrong.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote