View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #27
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

More seriously, they like to price their entry-level products relatively high in order to nudge consumers to stretch their budget and go for the mid-range version once they start thinking Apple. It's good marketing strategy. But that strategy says $349 for the mini.

Which makes the pricing of the mini (if it really exists) a good indicator of how seriously Apple takes Amazon in the tablet space. (How *they* review it internally.)

That is:
$349 - Amazon? What Amazon?
$299 - Our quality speaks for itself.
$249 - Hey, Amazon! Bring it on!
$199 - Amazon, Google, Toys-R-Us, you're all dead. You hear me? DEAD! Bwa-hah-hah!
I agree with this analysis 100% $199 is "I'll buy two iPads" territory. But I do think it's way too low for Apple. $249 is probably the most aggressive realistic price...and even that may be too low for a 7.85" tablet that will be 40% larger than a 7" tablet.

I also kind of suspect that people may be less picky about certain aspects of 7" tablet than they are about either larger tablets or iphones. Everyone needs a good screen, of course - but they may not care as much about lag on a small budget tablet they way that they would on a more expensive cellphone or full-size tablet.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote