View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 04:16 AM   #51
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid-e-reader View Post
The limit thread above seems to be the wrong one? The link points to battery indicator problems.
Oops, copy-paste didn't catch all the URL. Here's the corrected link, sorry about that.

Quote:
IDoes anyone know if Kindle for PC handles waypoints? I'll likely get feedback on this latest version from my friend tomorrow, but I could see no difference on K4PC.
That might be it. I haven't fired up K4Mac for awhile, but I seem to not recall any waypoints in its location bar, though I could be misremembering. What does show waypoints is Amazon's Kindle Previewer app, which simulates K2, DX, and K4iPhone.

Quote:
Does someone have a book with waypoints they could share so I could see the effect on K4PC, if any?

Does someone have such a book, and also its source, that they could share?
All the ones I've hand-assembled for myself are from my Fictionwise and other purchases, so I can't exactly pass them around, sorry to say.

But if you head over to the Fifth Imperium site which hosts the contents of those freely redistributable Baen promotional CDs, on the one for Lois McMaster Bujold's Cryoburn, if you get the ePub copy for Cordelia's Honor and convert it to Mobi using Amazon's KindleGen, it shows up with waypoints. I know this because that's how I got my own copy to read on the Kindle, and can easily flick between the chapters.

Just unzip the ePub and look at how the NCX is structured, and there's your source.

Incidentally, I'll mention that multi-level NCX work fine on the Kindle if they're done properly. People just think they don't because the Kindle only shows the top-level in the location bar as flickable points. But once you navigate to a second-level point, you can flick between the ones a that level, although they're still invisible.

B&N's Barnes & Noble Classics line's Pride and Prejudice version, which they give you a free copy of when you sign up for an account with them and also happens to be DRM-free, illustrates this perfectly, and you can take it apart to see how it's done in the source, as well as convert it to Mobi and try it out on the Kindle Previewer.

Hope this helps.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote