Thread: Typos in ebooks
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 03:12 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I too have been angry and frustrated by the shoddy formatting found in many commercial ebooks. I had a frank exchange of views a week or so ago with HarperCollins Australia about 'Flashman' by George MacDonald Fraser. I won't go into the details now, but I told them that I would be ashamed to put out something as poorly produced over my signature, and that I certainly would not have bought the book if I had known how badly produced it was. I did get a response, but only that the book was produced by HarperCollins UK, and they would send the email to them.

I have a suggestion, but it depends on whether commercial publishers read MobileRead Forums, and whether they give a damn anyway.

Suppose each time any of us finds a particularly badly produced book we notify each other through this forum to warn others not to buy that book - something like a 'Hall of Shame' - and copy the details to the publisher, and mention that the comment has been posted here.

We might even need a special subforum for the Hall of Shame. How do people feel about the idea? Would the moderators permit this?

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote