View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #1
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
K4NTB works for older person?

Q: Is a K4NTB right for older person?

I am trying to find an e-reader for my mother-in-law. She is in her low 70's, retired, and used to read a lot (and I mean a lot). A few years back her eyes got bad enough as to make reading her (mostly) paperbacks very complicated. She stopped reading, and now my wife and me are trying to get her to read again - mainly for something to do and for improving her disappearing memory. My theory about it is: Don't use it, you lose it. (brain, memory, thinking, ...)

I showed her the KT, and she can comfortably read it even without her glasses at 4th or 5th smallest font-size. She likes the idea of beeing able to read again. Not so sure about a touch screen though - the most advanced technology in her house is a cd-radio and the remote of her tv. She got no idea what to do with a computer, tablet, smart phone, internet. Is a K4 intuive enough to figure out how to look for a book, open it and read it if we were to show her what buttons to press? The books she likes we would need to preload for her and put in some kind of collections. The Kindle would just be standalone, no wifi no computer to charge it.

What are your thoughts - is that a feasible challenge, or am I better off not trying to bring her into this century? Anybody has experience with seniors like mom, that read on ereader, but are otherwise oblivious of electronic gadgets / computers? Does the K4 have a similar range of fonts and sizes as the KT?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote