View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #13
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I don't boycott but I am fairly price sensitive.
Most newer fiction just isn't all that special to motivate me to spend over $10. Even NYT Bestsellers, most of these books will barely be a dim memory 5 years from now. They are one and put it away reads. They'll probably sell me 3 to 4 books a year in that range. Actually it isn't even the $13 new releases that disgust me all that much - it is the $9 books that are over a decade (or more) old that I find ridiculously priced.

I mostly buy at $5 to $7 range. Thousands and thousands of excellent books available at those prices and plenty of authors and publishers glad to get my money.
I never conciously thought that the 5-7 was my price range, but I guess now that you point it out I tend to buy more there than the 9.99. those have to be pretty special or eagerly awaited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Yes - I keep a list of books that are currently over $10 - and check them monthly. Patience has paid off - I've been picking them up slowly but cheaply. Last gem was "Julian Comstock" - dropped from $14.99 to $8.99 in a couple of months.
that's good to know. I hadn't bothered to keep a list

Quote:
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
I won't pay $9.99 for an ebook I know is in paperback at a lower price. I don't normally buy hardcover books because of the prices, I wait for the paperback. Or pick up the hardcover when they discount the excess stock. I don't mind waiting for prices to go down, but it's not happening. I put ebooks I want but are too expensive on my wish list and watch them. One actually went up in price, the rest are unchanged despite paperback release.
I need to start doing that... wishlisting the too expensive ones and re-visiting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
No, I'm not participating and no, I don't think it's working. A boycott only works if you have a critical mass, and there's no sign of that.

I am also pretty price sensitive, but paying $12.99 for a new release where the hardback is $18 or $19 is something I'm occasionally willing to do. OTOH, nothing irritates me more than a backlist title that has a $6.99 paperback available and the ebook has a higher price.
it's called a grassroots movement. that's why it is discussed at length here and on other forums and the tags hit the books that ARE too high. I wish there was a way we could get darknet tallies to show the publishers how many people they have forced away

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I bought a few from Amazon, though to be truthful most have been under $9.99. My biggest problem is that the books *I'm* most interested in just aren't available in ebook format at any price and so most of my purchases the past few months have all been paper.

Beginning to think I should start investigating the darknet.
I've taken a stroll on the darkside a couple of times. it can be both refreshing and exciting as well as dissapointing and frustrating
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote