View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Ironic isn't it? Adobe releases a free font that won't work in their own desktop ePub renderer.

ADE is quite finicky when it comes to embedded fonts. There are many examples of fonts that work practically everywhere but ADE. I've found that most of the time ... the OS/2 version property of the font is the culprit. Seriously. I know ... crazy, right? Fontforge seems to default to OS/2 version 4 if the setting is left to automatic when generating the TrueType or OTF fonts, and I've never found a font yet saved as OS/2 version 4 that will work in ADE (when embedded in an ePub). Ever.

Long story short: open the font in FontForge, check the Font Info (Element menu) and confirm that they are OS/2 version 4, change to version 3 and re-generate the font. Bingo, bango, bongo... embedded font now works in ADE (any OS/2 version less than 4 seems to be the key here. The Fontin font—for example—is OS/2 version 1).

I fixed the TTF fonts and attached them if you want to verify that it works. Hope that helps.

[Removed Links to modified fonts]

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-09-2012 at 06:18 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote