Thread: Worst Book
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #126
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stop__dreaming View Post
Maybe it was the hype surrounding the books, I don't know.
Hype can be a killer, that's for sure. Especially since those expounding tend to not allow for differing tastes.

For me, this goes all the way back to high school. The teacher spends half an hour explaining why a particular author is a literary god and so on. So then we read the assigned material and feel inadequate for simply not liking it. I might have liked Fitzgerald a lot more had I not been told ahead of time that I was to love him.

Similarly, LOTR. It's not my preferred type of fantasy, but I may have enjoyed it on its own merits if allowed to do so, but no. Early on, I was asked what I thought, and said something like "it's okay" and it all went downhill from there. I stopped reading and never finished it.

At least now that I'm older, I no longer feel like there's something wrong with me if I simply don't care for something that's supposed to be awesome. And when I hear, "If you didn't like it then you obviously didn't get it", I tend to laugh uncontrollably which makes people mad for some reason.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote