View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #491
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by citron View Post
Hi
do I need upgrade my kindle DXG for 3.2.1 or stay with 2.5.8 with additional hacks?

Im missing 5 important features mostly for PDF:
1) PDF TOC
2) PDF reflow
3) Directories
4) PDF highlighting
5) ePub
possible RSS feeds (Google reader)

What are main new features of 3.2.1 software over 2.5.8?
I think it's mostly overall performance, newer browser, some improvement on the PDF handling. However, I think from your list, this would only be PDF highlighting.

Quote:
Are most of the features above supported by
Duokan + kindlepdfviewer + dictionaries or it is better to install 3.2.1 software + Duokan + dictionaries
Kindlepdfviewer won't bring reflow (and this will probably stay this way for a while since we have no text-based format support at all in there yet), it has TOC and directory support, though. Highlighting might be supported in one of the next releases, but it's not there yet either.

Duokan also has a nice PDF reader, I'm not sure if it does highlighting or TOC, though. It has PDF reflow, AFAIK. Duokan is nice for epub, but I prefer Coolreader3 for that. However, I'm not so sure if Coolreader3 supports the DX. And Duokan has Directory support.

It took me a longer time to settle for some specific software, so I suggest you go and try yourself. While I can very much understand that you want to make an informed decision, I still don't think there's a one-fits-all strategy here.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote