View Single Post
Old 04-30-2007, 09:44 AM   #42
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
Hm. The OS is in the packages, right? What you say is unintelligable to me. If I update a certain package, I have to update that package. That's obviously true. But I don't have to "reinstall" "all" other packages just because of an update.
What you are doing is just twisting words. Fact is, if you upgrade your Debian linux distribution, you have to upgrade the packages that you installed along with it - and NOT JUST the base packages that would qualify as the OS.

Quote:
I'm running debian testing since around 2004 and keeping it up-to-date using dist-upgrade, so my system went through multiple debian releases. And it very rarely happens that I have to update 3rd-party software manually, be it manually installed debs, stuff from 3d-party repositories or self-compiled software. I certainly do not "reinstall" anything. Thinking of it, I have to run "vmware-config.pl" after a kernel upgrade and run module-assistant for the wlan module. Is that "reinstalling"?
Our discussion here is not whether you have to upgrade manually or not, but whether an OS or firmware upgrade would require you to update/reinstall the packages - if this happens automatically through apt-get or aptitude, fine, but that's the whole point of this discussion - to use a packaging system for the iLiad that would reinstall the packages after installing a firmware upgrade.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote