View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 10:14 AM   #89
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS-505(LC) & Rocket eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
With the price of hardware these days, maybe it is time to re-evaluate static linking. Ugly as hell, but bulletproof solution for packaging self-contained binaries.

Back to the size of flash on our readers, I immediately bought SD card to go with my 505. A few weeks later, the conclusion was that the number of books is bigger concern than their size. At least it is for me, with the current software.
While I didn't start programming at the very start of the 'home computer era,' I did start moderately early.

I remember writing self-modifying code to save a few bytes that I could then allocate to needed working buffers within limited - and fixed - memory constraints.

The current attitude (which has been around for well over a decade) of 'memory is cheap' strikes me as slightly offensive and more specifically as lazy.

Yes. You can just go out and buy a bigger flash card, but that doesn't mean that you should.

-JPB
Dahak is offline   Reply With Quote