View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrusz View Post
According to your suggestions I have installed japdict01 as Portugues dictionary (which I had already installed) and it works very well :-) The only drawback is my Kobo Touch is using original Japanese dictionary every time I am searching for a kanji while reading a book. So I have to click "Dictionary" icon and change dictionary from Japanese to Portuguese. I have to do it for every kanji, it is little frustraiting...
The reader chooses the dictionary in accordance with the language settings of the book. This is why the Kobo Japanese dictionary pops up in case of Japanese books. In order to prevent this you can change the books settings. In your case you should set the language to Portuguese. With DRM free epubs this is rather easily done. In other cases you have to find your ways around. You might use Calibre for changing the settings and there is also a plug-in for the DRM problem. You can find more information on this forum. I cannot say more about it, since I do not use Calibre myself.

Quote:
So I have tried to replace Japanese dictionary with japdict01 (or japdict02) but it does not work for me. Kobo cannot find any kanji :-( Could you explain how to do it, if it is possible?
The original Japanese dictionary works internally different from the other dictionaries (and this is actually its weak point). Therefore, you cannot use it for our purpose.
Quote:
Finally I have added japdict01 as a new dictionary jap-eng.
How did you do this?
Quote:
It works very well, too :-) However the dictionary availability depends on the book. Some books allows you to choose "Translation dictionary" but most I have (from Aozora) does not. Very odd.
I would recommend using japdic01 and japdic02 both as definition dictionaries rather than one as translation dictionary (I personally opted for Spain and Dutch). If the language of a book is defined as Japanese (and you cannot or do not want to change it) the reader (usually?) does not offer you any translation dictionaries. The reason is that there is no original Japanese translation dictionary. Another advantage of having both defined as translation dictionaries is that in some situations it is easier to change from one translation dictionary to another translation dictionary as it is to change from a definition dictionary to a translation dictionary.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote