View Single Post
Old 01-20-2007, 02:47 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Sharp Zaurus production is being terminated

TamsPalm has posted the sad news that Sharp is ending production of it's line of Linux Zaurus PDAs in February. Apparently, parts will be available for a long time from third party suppliers, which is a testament to the dedicated following that has been built by the products.

The Zaurus is one of those devices that everyone says they love, but nobody actually seems to buy or own. I think we all just really like the idea of having a clamshell device, but when it comes down to it, other form factors are usually more practical. Pocketable form factors like the Treo and other smartphones are often criticized, but they work.

If it's not going to fit in my pocket, then I want it to be easy to carry around, and big enough to get extra usability. That means a "real" keyboard (even if it's small), and a bigger display. A small notebook computer shape would be nice, so you can carry it like a Franklin planner, and the screen isn't exposed.

Usually electronics are rather fragile, so devices need to stay relatively convenient to carry even when in a case. That's one of the big reasons I'm very high on the future of UMPCs. I think they'll eventually get the form factor tweaked so that you can do decent typing on it, and it's still small and portable, and easy to carry around with you. (If you don't carry it around most of the time, what's the advantage over a traditional notebook computer?)

So you can see why I think the Zaurus line didn't catch on, just like most other clamshells. Mostly, it's the form factor. I'm not sure why they didn't go ahead and add a better keyboard like the old handheld PCs. You remember... like the Jornada 720. Believe it or not, I have still recently seen those in use for pharmaceutical field sales.

And, of course, if you don't have mainstream 3rd party software options or a spectacular set of built-in applications, then it becomes a hard sell. People want to be able to use the device, not just admire it's form factor.

But if you have been wanting to use a new Zaurus, or would like to pick one up for the novelty and gadget factor, this may be your last chance outside of eBay.

Via Palm Addicts.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote