View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #1282
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Asus VivoTab Smart & Windows updates

I sold it.
I rarely do this. Usually I just let my gadgets collect dust.
But in this case, it really did annoy me and had to go.

You find tons of threads on numerous websites about the issue that bothered me:
Asus delivers updates via their proprietary software.
The initial update was painfully slow. After canceling it half a dozen times after 30 minutes and more without any progress, I found a website stating to be patient. Finally, after maybe 2 hours, the update of some 10MB went through.

But, over-critical as I am, I had to do some hard resets. And after the first hard reset, the Asus update simply didn't work anymore.
Hundreds of users report the very same.
I couldn't repeat the initial update, not to mention the tons of updates afterwards.
You can download those updates manually from the Asus user forum.
And you can uninstall the Asus update software, of course.
But I hate stuff like that.
I don't like to uninstall pre-installed software, that's why I prefer a "pure" Windows installation without bloatware and such.
And I hate to manually search for updates on some obscure websites.

It's a shame. For € 500 (now you even get it for € 400) it was a steal and did perform surprisingly well..
It's not quite up to par with Dell Latitude 10. But for only half the price, it had been a worthy competitor.
But the update process simply was too painful.

I'm not a fan of the Dell update process either on Latitude 10.
You download the updates manually from their website.
But at least it automatically recognises your configuration and automatically recommends the most crucial updates.

But of course the update process on both Microsoft Surface tablets is the most convenient one.
Firmware, graphic drivers and the usual Windows updates all are downloaded via the Windows update process.

Frankly, in general I sometimes prefer the update process on iOS or Android.
From time to time, maybe once per quarter, you flash an update of the entire system. You don't have to worry about outdated system libraries and stuff.
On Windows, from time to time, updates fail and seeing this in the update history still is bothering me. Why did it fail on the initial try and did succeed 2 minutes later? And why did I get an update with the very same name 30 minutes later?
In this instance, Windows is a bit too transparent for me.
But over all, the Windows experience still outshines the competition by far.
Yes, you see faults as well.
But everything is transparent and can be managed by yourself.
And you can decide for single tune-ups instead of "all or nothing".
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote