Thread: Classic Buy or wait?
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmatt View Post
Hmm, yea that is interesting. I only recently was aware of the cracking issue and general consensus was that it is fixed. That is another bummer. I really wish the Sony 650 had wireless...
its tough to say how wide spread the cracked button issue really is. Normally on forums such as this the issue tends to affect a smaller amount of people but do to the venue and nature of internet forums issues seem to be larger than they really are. Who you don't hear from is the majority of nook owners that don't have a problem with it.

Were their a production batch that had cracked issues. Sure, did they all? I would say no. I would say the vast majority of the nook out their don't have this issue.

I had mine since June and not an issue. but also I do use the finger swipe method for page turning almost exclusivley though.

as to answer your question. I would say you are more likely to see a major firmware upgrade, similiar to V1.3 that came out in April, that one was there biggest one to date and the one that really convinced alot of critics and consumers that this ereader is now ready for Prime time. Most people love the hardware, so I don't think you'll see a Kindle 2 out this Christmas season.

I could be dead wrong I have no inside knowledge or anything but this is a popular device that seems to get better via firmware upgrades as opposed to hardware updates.

But I agree with the others, the whole "If I only waited" mentality will drive you crazy. I say buy when your ready. And if a new one with all sorts of added goodies comes along sooner rather than later, you can always sell the old on on Ebay and that could subsidize the cost of the new one.

I for one am in no rush to replace mine, no matter what comes out. Personally I think the new Sony's and new Kindle's really haven't brought anything truely remarkable to table. Sure the Pearl Screen is nicer but in reality it really isn't that much nicer wherer Kindle 2 owners are going to jump of bridges. They basically just improved on their existing devices, the Sony improved on the touch screen getting rid of the second layer. The Kindle cleaned up it's appearance and made it less ugly. To be honest I would suspect the Nook to be a similar situation. They might add on a new android software version, maybe make it ligther etc but again I would think it would be more improving an existing product just like the other 2/

To be honest if your are going to hold out and wait for the latest and greatest, It would be the color eink with touch display or at least a dual screen like the nooks.
Now that will be bringing something new to the table. and with color eink you'll able to have a true white and black contrast for your screen.

so IOW's I say buy it now and enjoy

Last edited by boswd; 09-16-2010 at 12:51 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote