View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 05:14 AM   #9
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
If you intend to read mostly Japanese and Korean, you may not find much value in an ebook reader. Trying to use mine for Chinese has just been an exercise in frustration and disappointment (not difficult to get/make books, but almost impossible to make/get good quality text). On the upside, Japanese and Hangul are pretty simple (visually) compared to Chinese, so they generally display better (I've had OK luck with Japanese in Adobe fonts on my 505).

Nowadays it's pretty much just flip a coin or roll some dice or go to ask Mr. Miyagi and get whatever strikes your fancy and is big enough to display what you want. They're not all that different, and if you're a stickler for visual quality, none will satisfy, so you may as well focus on functions and speed and feel and all that other good stuff that's important to everyone but proud, self-proclaimed ebook readers who own devices "for reading".

Netbook with Pixel Qi, rather than a tablet, would be my choice, but they're not out yet. I'm gonna wait for Mirasol or Liquavista to elbow into the epaper market, and see what happens after this stagnant e-ink phase (not just the e-ink, but the rubbish device designs, specs, and software as a whole being cookie-cutter cloned thoughtlessly and seemingly without end). Perhaps something cool will happen, perhaps not.

For now, the PRS-505 is alright if you don't care about ergonomics or speed and just want something that works reasonably well and shows simple text/html pages and will view decently-made PDF books if you are willing to spend the time. The JetBook is a cooler device in some ways, but tragically underpowered and a bit small and taking design inspiration from 1980s VCRs. Kindle and Nook are okay if you like the services. PocketBook 360 could be a fair 5" option.

None are too bad really, so it's not like getting any one in particular is going to be a horrible horrible mistake, though some people complain about certain readers being buggy...that may cause some ire.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote