View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 04:36 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'm not yet convinced its the new SQL that's causing the problem. I suspect instead a GUI issue.
I was the one who was having problems.

Seems that Kovid was correct (what a surprise), although the 'why' of it isn't obvious to me. The problem occurred when a new saved search was added, causing the main window GUI to ask the tags pane to update the list of saved searches. I used an existing method to do that, because the method went to some pains to preserve the screen position of tags. Apparently this caused the problem (calibre crashed). When I changed it to instead refresh the tags pane and lose the position, the crash went away.

My theory, based on ignorance and superstition, is that the position preservation somewhere preserves a pointer to a node. Unfortunately, refreshing the tags will rebuild the node list, leaving the pointer referring to an area of memory now used by something else. Nothing good can come of this. If I am right, then tags_view.recount() probably should not be used (it is used currently only when the database changes underneath the GUI, a rare event?). However, my theory is not far from waving wands and muttering incantations, and should be interpreted accordingly.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote