View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
akadaedalus
Enthusiast
akadaedalus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Been staring at this problem for a little while. My conclusion is that this is not really well supported.

I'm about to embark on writing a Perl script cron job that will import the scheduler.xml file, open the recipe for each scheduled feed, check the RSS URLs for any updates since the last pull, and execute ebook-convert for any newly updated feeds. Along the way it'll have to use sqlite3 to pull the custom recipes.

While all this seems it would be easier to write in a plugin using the existing APIs, I don't like Python and it would take me more time to code it up that way, and it sounds prone to breakage in new versions of calibre. Here is where I'm hoping someone more proficient with Python already accomplished all or most of the above!

Desires:
1) only generate a new book if there is an update in the RSS feed (I have a couple rarely-updated blogs I'd love to follow)
2) not have to update every single recipe I'm interested in with code to make it work (aforementioned parse_feed solution)
3) keep each feed in separate books (meaning I'm not interested in the aggregated google reader solution)
3) automate w/ cron and command line tools to avoid using the gui
4) bonus: trigger a sync to the device when plugged in, without gui (udev trickery?)
akadaedalus is offline   Reply With Quote