Thread: Kindle or EPUB?
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 03:59 AM   #12
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowthenmobile View Post
Next, Kindle will not allow you to borrow EPUB files. Does a website exist where it is possible to borrow modern popular books? All I have found so far are local libraries lending a few books - certainly not popular children's books, like Artemis Fowl, Percy Jackson etc. If such a website existed, would it bring Amazon to its knees and force them to support EPUB borrowing, whatever that entails?
In the UK the library services currently available are patchy, and limited in choice. In view of Local Authority spending cuts, I can't see this improving any time soon.

As other posters have pointed out, for the type of e-book freedom you want, learning how to remove the drm is a must (imagine it as a kind of outer lock which has to be opened before you can get at your lovely e-book purchase inside). If you master it, you then have a book you can format for whatever e-reader you choose.

The new Sonys have the same generation of screen as the Kindle 3 - however the Sonys have touchscreen, the Kindle has its wifi and keyboard. Personally, I have just switched to a K3 from Sony, but my Sonys have always been very reliable.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote