Thread: Kindle or EPUB?
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
nowthenmobile
Enthusiast
nowthenmobile is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Kindle or EPUB?

I would like to buy an eReader. My first consideration is the quality of the display - I would like my children to be able to use it and not experience any eye strain. From what I have read, the Kindle 3 seems to be in the lead here. Have I got that right?

Next, Kindle will not allow you to borrow EPUB files. Does a website exist where it is possible to borrow modern popular books? All I have found so far are local libraries lending a few books - certainly not popular children's books, like Artemis Fowl, Percy Jackson etc. If such a website existed, would it bring Amazon to its knees and force them to support EPUB borrowing, whatever that entails?

The possibility of lending books between Nooks for 14 days - I read somewhere that this can only be done once for any given book. Is that true?

If I buy a Kindle and later want to switch to a Nook, am I licenced to convert my Kindle ebooks to Nook ebooks (Is their standard format the EPUB?)? Is that even possible? Surely you wouldn't lose all of your books would you?

If I decide to buy a Kindle and a Nook, so that our family has two readers available, can I share my Kindle ebooks with the Nook. I believe that you can share your ebooks between 6 Kindles, but what about sharing them with a Nook. What about Nook to Kindle?

I know that is a lot of questions but I think they all hang together.

Thank you for any help.
nowthenmobile is offline   Reply With Quote