View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
sven
Enthusiast
sven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
nickel replacement

Hi all,
As promised a few days ago in this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195514, I provide some pictures of my nickel replacing Java application on my Kobo Touch. The idea for this application is based on the work by Michael Zucchi (http://a-hackers-craic.blogspot.be/search/label/kobo)

The first one is the Home Screen.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00990.JPG
Views:	1741
Size:	371.0 KB
ID:	96346
The upper part of the screen shows a list of recently read books. The lower part contains icons for several "Applets", e.g. Calendar, News, Mail or Reader.

The Calendar can be displayed in a month, week or day view. One can switch through the different views by tapping on the icons at the right part of the menu bar. With a swipe to the left or to the right one can go a month, a week or a day back or forward.

Name:	DSC00993.JPG
Views:	1165
Size:	373.1 KB
ID:	96349Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00994_50.jpg
Views:	1067
Size:	367.0 KB
ID:	96350

By a long tap one can create a new event, by a normal tap on an existing event one can modify the details of the event.

Name:	DSC00995_50.jpg
Views:	1125
Size:	443.7 KB
ID:	96351Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00996_50.jpg
Views:	1042
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	96352
The events are stored in a file in XCAL (XML iCal)format. I hope to implement in future a synch mechanism for my thunderbird calendar at home.

The Reading Applet shows the existing book categories as a tag cloud considering the number of books in a particular category. Currently the category structure is file system based, that means each category is a directory in file system. That makes it easy to manipulate categories and add or remove books.

Name:	DSC00991.JPG
Views:	1061
Size:	319.7 KB
ID:	96347
After a tap on a category, a list of the books in that category is diplayed to select the book to read (I havenīt finished this work yet).

The News Applet displays my favorite online news. A separate application crawls the news webpages and compiles an ePub (without advertisements and pictures).

Name:	DSC00998_50.jpg
Views:	1050
Size:	392.6 KB
ID:	96353Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00999_50.jpg
Views:	979
Size:	395.5 KB
ID:	96354

The Weather Applet is inspired by the great work of KevinShort https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=194376

Name:	DSC00992.JPG
Views:	1044
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	96348

As it can be seen on the pictures the User Interface is not consistent yet, some menu items are displayed as icons some as text. I am to date not sure what will be the best solution.
Also one can notice a lot of ghosting on the pictures, but this will be fixed in the future. All in all, there is still much room for improvement and a lot of work to be done.

Any feedback is appreciated whether the community might be interested in my replacement of nickel or whether further developement is for my purpose only (then I do not have to clean up and comment the code )
sven is offline   Reply With Quote