View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #40
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
[QUOTE=SteveEisenberg;2061886]In #31 I was accidentally misquoted. But since other posters have repeatedly made the mistaken implication that the OP internet-only opinion piece represents some kind of corporate position, I'll consider myself in good company in terms of having views misrepresented.

There seem to be two big main corporate hate objects on this board -- Big 6 publishers, and The New York Times. I don't agree with the dislike for the first, but at least I think I understand it. With the latter, except for what I would think are only a few people who may be against the Times because of political views outside the scope of what we discuss here, it mystifies me a bit.

QUOTE]

To answer your question, all people have filters through which they perceive the world. Usually they are oblivious to them, only noticing them when somebody else's filters disagree with their own. Which is why there is so much dislike for the New York Times.

The NYT has a rather blatant editorial set of filters. In addition, it embraces in its filters the "New York City is the Hub of the World" mindset that is so inherent to the New York City culture. Needless to say, this doesn't set well with non New Yorkers.

Here's a real-life example of the "New York City is the Hub of the World" mindset. In 2001, I was working for JP Morgan Chase, in a site in Texas. One of the top managers (not the CEO) sent out a Rah Rah mesage to all the people in the corporation about his trip around the world, touring various corporate sites. He spoke glowingly about the people at the following foreign sites- London, Paris, Mumbai, Singapore, Shanghai, and Columbus, Ohio.

Yes, he sent an email to the entire company calling Ohio a foreign country. And no, it wasn't just a gaffe. You got the same attitude continually from the co-workers I interfaced with daily, who were in New York. Everything west of the Hudson was a foreign country, to be exploited. (I was a back office programmer for the securities arm of JPM at the time).

It's not an attitude that most non-New Yorkers care to put up with....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote