View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 12:00 PM   #12
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Not at a loss, but with a lower margin.

Of course the business model will have to change. And of course they are mostly trying to cling to the old ways of doing things, because they are scared of change. Who isn't?

Personally I wouln't mind paying books a bit more, if that could ensure a healthy publishing industry willing to spend that margin on quality. I do hope the new model leaves some room for quality publishing
A lower margin still provides a profit-so what are they crying about, that they won't make *as much* money? That's greed, not pain.

They might have a point about comparing 'direct to ebook' & 'direct to paperback'. It depends on what their business model actually is, but what makes sense to me is that the hardcover edition covers their basic expenses: advance, editing & proofing, promotion. As well as typesetting (formatting), printing & distribution of course, but those expenses apply to any edition. If so, then paperback can be produced at a lower margin & still earn a profit-but direct to paperback can't. Nor can direct to ebook-if this is the business model.

Basically, I tend to agree with the higher prices for ebooks, as long as they're competing against a hardback version. Once the book comes out in paperback I think the ebook prices should be lowered, too.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote