View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 06:46 AM   #11
phil_ga
phil_ga has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.phil_ga has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.phil_ga has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
I rebuilt my metadata.db file. In the end it took about 10 minutes, but crashed the program three times before it worked (on each freeze I waited up to 1 hour before killing the program). On the fourth attempt it made it thru in about 10 minutes. No other programs were being run (intentionally) in parallel. The new file is now 46Mb instead of 52, so something was definitely crap in the file.
The program remains "sluggish" (ie I probably wasted much of this day). If one searches by author using the categories (which is a major pain to navigate down a 3,221 author tree) the search is subsecond as chaley says. If you search via the search bar (thats why its there huh??) it takes 5 seconds for some authors and 30 or more for others (with a program appearing to freeze in between). The same searches mostly take the same time: eg danielle steel is 5 seconds, yet jon sprunk is more than 30. Its all very unsatisfying. I only search via typing in the search bar. Using categories takes even longer to search - because there are so many navigation steps to go thru to find the actual author (the search itself is fast). The same sluggish behavior also is felt on editing any books properties like changing the genre.

No, I am not specifically running any other program while doing the tasks i report here. The problem is restricted to calibre - I can run a dozen programs at once normally - including transcoding mp3 and videos. Please simply believe me when i say its calibre - not my pc.

I remain with the feeling that its the size of the db file that is the problem...but I cannot be sure.

Can any one answer about the conditions under which opf files are actually saved to disk? I bet never, untill you do the backup manually (about 5 hours for my library).
phil_ga is offline   Reply With Quote