View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
My test library is 20,000 books, 6000 authors, 10,000 tags. On my Intel P5 2.6GHz, 4GB mem, 7200 rpm SATA drive, Win7 Pro/32, Calibre starts in under 7 seconds. Edit metadata (single, not changing author or title) completes in under 2 seconds. Searching from the tag browser is close to instantaneous. Change tag browser sort from name to popularity takes under 2 seconds. Not sure if these are the operations you are referring to.

Regarding corruption of the database: in 18 months I have never lost a database, other than when I purposely broke it to test the recovery mechanism. This is true even though I upgrade on a daily basis and use bleeding edge calibre versions that never see public use (and sometimes don't work).

My conclusion: given that your experience does not match that of several people who have very large libraries, there seems to be something odd about your configuration. Exactly what, I can't say. Any chance that you overclock? Is your library on a NAS? Have you tried defragging? (Some people have reported that defragging helped tremendously.)
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote