View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_ga View Post
1. Well, calibre (v0.8.11) is sluggish, to say the least. All commands that rely on the db seem to take about 5-30 seconds. Some functions are painful in the extreme. I assume this all comes from the metadata.db being so large.
My library has 11,400 books and I don't see any delays that aren't associated with my external drive taking time to wake up after going to sleep.

Quote:
I simply DO NOT recommend this program for anything larger than this unless you have incredible patience and are very happy to risk a lot of heartache.

- can the metadata.db be compacted? how?
- what is the metadata.db size limit for calibre?
- is the sluggishness due to the db or some other issue?
- is there some way to get back the program responsiveness?
Are you running your database from a network or flash drive?

Quote:
2. I have used this for about 9 months. The program has crashed three times in that period. Each time, the program was unable to recover the database.
I have had calibre crash many times in 2.5 years of use, as I would expect of an app in beta with constant development. I have never once had any of the crashes corrupt my database.

Quote:
So, am I missing something, or should the author seriously consider a more effective backup/restore procedure?
The backup/restore of the main library is up to each of us, but the metadata.db file can be rebuilt/restored via the Library Maintenance - Restore database feature.

Quote:
At the very very simplest why not implement a system of rolling copies of the metadata.db file? Its so simple (well of course its easy for me to say so) - every time the app opens, the app could save the db as a rolling copy such as metadata.01, metadata.02, then when reaching .09, start deleting .01 and keep the cycle going. This way any of 10 different databases can be restored more simply and easily. This strategy is clearly rudimentary, but hey, it sounds so easy.
The restore database feature is more comprehensive. Although it is quite easy to start calibre in a batch file and do exactly what you suggest. I previously used the batch file to quick copy my metadata.db file, but I have my library in Dropbox and it keeps 30 days worth of file version changes so the batch file backup is not needed. Add to that calibre's restore database feature and I think I'm covered.

I'll let others focus on why you may be seeing the delays you're experiencing.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote