View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 04:31 PM   #15
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Hmmmm, I'm not quite convinced, yet.

Positive:
- User replaceable battery. You don't even need a screwdriver.
- Changing screen orientiation ala iPhone works perfectly.
- Lightweight and easily can be hold in one hand.
- Folders and subfolders. Two viewing options: In the standard view, it shows all the books it can find. In the 2nd view, you manually can explore your various folders.
- Thumbnail view. Sometimes with strange results and quality, but at least it's there.
- I have to compare. But page turns seem extremely fast. Maybe even with Kindle, seems to be faster than iRex or Sony.

Less positive (don't want to give up yet and call it "negative" already):
- You just pull the cover of the battery. It slides relatively easy. Sometimes it's open 1 or 2 millimeters, just by holding the reader in hand. I see myself at the beach, permanently worrying about sand in my unit.
- It's not as "plasticky" as BeBook, but it's no Sony either. Acceptable, but only mediocre in it's design. Cybook Gen3 is somewhat more "elegant".
- I've already mentioned the sleeve. For carrying in your suit pocket or bag it's probably okay. But in my trouser's pocket I'd be worried about it slipping out. In general, I prefer covers for the "touch and feel of a book".
- For PDFs (legally purchased from various sources), lots of covers look "distorted". For EPUBs it's working flawlessly.
- In ADE, Sony 505 and 700, in an instance show internal memory and both memory cards. For Cybook Opus I only find the internal memory. I had to copy my EPUBs to the Micro SD card manually. I've tried quite a few cards, from 1GB to 8GB, SDHC and old ones.
- Given the smaller size and same resolution, I'd expected at least same readability as with the 6" units. But with smaller fonts (unfortunately, not defined in pixels or any other unit, just a range of fonts) it kind of "fades out". Same with cover graphics, they seem kind of "dimmed out". Bit of a disappointment so far.
- I'm not yet convinced of the select key in the middle. I'm not sure yet, whether it's gonna survive 2 or 3 years of heavy reading. Seems kind of fragile.

With Kindle 2, in the beginning I was quite disappointed. Its "white goods" design did seem inferior to Sony. Now, a few weeks later, I simply love it.
Might be the same with Cybook Opus, I'll check back from time to time.

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-31-2009 at 04:33 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote