View Single Post
Old 06-22-2014, 11:31 AM   #20024
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Loved it. I'm not quite sure what it is about these books that really works so well for me, but I think it's the Peter Grant character as much as anything. He is so not like the typical police detective of most British mysteries - at least a DI, and all too often from a better background than pretty much any real British DI. Plus the backdrop of modern London definitely adds to the story.

Next up, A Mighty Fortress, book #4 in the Safehold series from David Weber. I'm doing a combined audio/eBook read of this.
Finished. Another 3.5 star. Not bad, just not as good as it could be. I enjoy Weber's books, but I sincerely wish he could write "tighter"! Next up is How Firm a Foundation, which also has a change in reader for the Audible version. (Really annoying, 4 different readers for this series!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
So glad you're enjoying it! It's one of those odd books that if you simply read the description you'd likely give it a pass. But somehow, it works. Even though I'm mostly avoiding "urban fantasy" or anything like it these days.

I just broke down and bought #4 in the series (Broken Homes), which gives me incentive to finish off this current Safehold monstrosity so I can get back to Peter Grant and the other characters in these Rivers of London books.
I'll start this one once I finish reading The Martian, downloaded from the BC Library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I am a big fan of British urban fantasy and Steampunk. I enjoyed all of the Abrahams books. Phoenix Rising by Pip Ballantine & Tee Morris introduced me to Steampunk. Very good IMO. I am a big fan of British mysteries of almost any type.

Two Canadian mystery authors I have been enjoying recently are Jack Batten - Crang and Howard Engel - Benny Cooperman. Not Urban Fantasy, sort of medium boiled detective. I think you would like them.

Helen
Hmm. No sign of the first one in the BC Library system, but a bunch of Howard Engle books. Unfortunately, the first one available is #5, A City Called July. Is this the sort of series that really needs to be read from the beginning? Or can I jump in at #5?
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote