View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #14625
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Like Jon, I'm finding myself wondering if Cloud Atlas was fitting for a sci-fi month. Sure, parts of it take place in the future and involve advanced technology, but that certainly isn't the main thrust of the story. But unlike Jon, I couldn't see it as fantasy, either. It seems to defy classification. There is an undercurrent involving Eastern religious elements.
It feels more like a collection of different genres of stories. That's why the problem classifying it. It's not SF. But it's not fantasy. I would have to classify it as fiction. If I thought this was SF, I would not have fought so hard to get it disqualified. Nobody was able to persuade me that it was SF and any SF type awards it got were as wrong as Jethro Tull getting an award for hard rock/heavy metal.

What actually persuaded me to read Cloud Atlas was the extended trailer I saw. It looked good. But this book was not as good as the trailer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote