View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 12:58 AM   #61
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If a book comes out as a hardcover, the eBook should be no more then $9.99. When the book goes paperback regardless of price & format of paperback, the eBook should cost no more then $4.99. I think those prices are very fair.
I see your point but you are lumping too much together.

Example: Hardbound books vary in price and not just because of bindings, paper used, etc.

We might think in terms of average prices say of 9.99 for an eBook, but really that should be 9.99 for the average eBook. To make it simple let us aggregate in 3 classes. The more expensive hardbound book (on content alone or desirability) might cost in eBook form 15.99. Call that class 1. The greater number of hardbound books, Class II, say about 2/3s of the books would cost 9.99 in eBook form. And finally the lowest Class III might cost 5.99 in eBook form.

To summarize, most books (2/3s) fall in the larger category at 9.99. A third of the books will fall into either the higher or lower categories. Of course the actually percentages will vary.

We are still not considering the really extreme edges where certain books are snapped up by buyers who act like ravenous wolves at an unattended sheep ranch, or those books you have to just about give away to get a new author some attention. (Think of a scenario where you are driving through wolf territory in the snow on your sled and brother Jed is tossing out the little unwanted sheep into the surrounding woods and hollering "nice sheep, come and get them wolves, please!")

So the price system will still be mixed.

Earlier I only considered the used book market as a problem.
With paperbacks it becomes more complicated.
Sometimes books come first come out in nicer paperback if they won't have the sales numbers for a big pulp fiction printing. They never make it to hardbound.

I think that we have to let the market decide on these details. Used. Paperback, the Time the books has been out, General sales of the book, market issues, etc.

We still have the issue of used eBooks to deal with as well, but we don't have the time for that

And finally of course piracy in its many forms and what to do about that.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote