View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 05:39 AM   #430
sts
sts began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650 (retired), Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwdecarlo View Post
Calibre has built in functionality to either imbed a font and/or remove the CSS font definitions. This can be done through the Convert Books functionality.
Conversion is not a desirable alternative, I want to avoid any conversions as much as possible.

I use ModifyEpub to clear the file (remove artifacts, orphaned images, adobe junk, metadata jackets). Then I open the epub "in zip mode" (Speed Commander correctly recognizes epub as zip and handles it like a directory), and take a look into the CSS. If it is only one, I edit it directly. If every chapter has its own (sometimes more than 100 CSS files), I extract them all, run a RegEx Replace (with the very nice little tool "grepWin"), and copy them back into the zip.

My changes involve "font-family" (on global classes), "text-indent" (I like 1.5em), text-align (I like justify, which is set by the reader, but only if there's no "left" in the CSS) and margins (page and body is handled by ModifyEpub, but often there are margins on div or p, I don't like empty space between paragraphs).
sts is offline   Reply With Quote