Thread: Literary Chess Story by Stefan Zweig
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 06:11 AM   #17
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
It was a re-read for me. I liked it very much when I first read it in my younger days and I was curious if I would like it today too. Yes, I did. And I felt the same kind of sadness about the outcome. Although Dr. B. wins this one game (which is a tremendous achievement, chess world champions never lose to amateurs, at least not when playing on the same conditions) he is the loser in the end. I always thought this as a reflection of Zweig's own life which led him to commit suicide soon afterwards.

For those of you who are interested in the general story - intellectual jews who had to flee from Nazi Germany - I could additionally suggest reading some books by Erich Maria Remarque. But unfortunately, I don't have any knowledge about translations and availability in English.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote